Thursday 17 November 2011

Random poem about bullying

So I thought I would stick this in anyway, it appeared on my old blog as part of a series of my old poems on National Poetry Day.  It's not National Poetry Day now but I am reproducing this particular one as I think it's my most interesting if not technically amazing.  To be fair I was about 15 when I wrote it!

**********

Schooldays

In this cold, crushing cubicle, stark white walls close in on me,
I don't attract attention here, clinging to my privacy.
This place is protecting me, I've nowhere else to go,
That I'm behind this bolted door is something no-one knows.
I've been here just an hour, though it feels like a whole day,
And I do it every lunch time while the others are at play.

Emerging like a butterfly, only to discover
That I am still a caterpillar to be crushed by others.
Cruel, cutting tongues despite the fact that they are just thirteen,
Cowed, repressed, a faint shadow of what I should have been.
I've tried so hard to talk, but no-one wants to listen,
It's teaching, not caring, that is their profession.
So leave me alone, let me suffer inside,
Just give me the torture and a lonely place to hide.

The desk is built to seat two but I'm sitting here alone,
Watch the clock upon the wall just praying to go home.
Every lesson, every day is more than I can bear,
Searching hard for understanding, but there's no-one there.
Every waking moment feeling full of dread,
Desolate and worthless, sometimes wishing I were dead.
It's never taken seriously, just "Children can be cruel",
They say the best days of your life are when you are at school.

But this building is a business only caring for results,
They don't care how their attitude affects future adults.
Confront the Headmaster, he'll deny the accusation,
All that seems to matter is his own reputation.
My nausea accompanies his smug, self-praising face,
I can't disguise my hatred for this repugnant place.

Congratulations, everyone, for making my life hell,
A heartfelt thanks for driving me deep down into my shell.
I'll remember what you did to me as long as I live,
I'll never forget you - and I'll never forgive.


Once again, thanks to Budmouth School Class of 92 for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment